Rent a car in Latvia: features and nuances
Fiat PuntoNumber of days: 780 EurVW PoloNumber of days: 795 EurPeugeot 107Number of days: 790 Eur
MERCEDES B-classNumber of days: 7130 EurMini CabrioNumber of days: 7160 EurOpel AstraNumber of days: 7100 Eur
Audi A6Number of days: 7170 EurMERCEDES SNumber of days: 7280 EurVW PassatNumber of days: 7120 Eur
Range RoverNumber of days: 7240 EurNissan X-trailNumber of days: 7170 EurAudi Q5Number of days: 7210 Eur
(Русский) Теги “Популярные направления”Number of days:Audi A6Number of days: 7Range RoverNumber of days: 7Audi Q7Number of days: 7Nissan X-trailNumber of days: 7Audi Q5Number of days: 7BMW X5Number of days: 7(Русский) Телефоны в подвалеNumber of days:(Русский) ТелефонNumber of days:Fiat PuntoNumber of days: 7
The Baltic countries attract tourists picturesque architecture and unusual landscapes. Especially beautiful at any time of year in Latvia – a cozy European country on the coast cool, but very cozy beach. To explore the attractions of the Latvian and leisurely travel anywhere in the country, it is best to use to hire a car. We advise you to register Rent at the airport for two reasons:
- It's comfortable. In the airport terminal based offices of both international and local companies in the car rental: Add Car, Green Motion, Car 4 Rent, Auto26, SIXT. Parking of rolling machines are usually located a few steps from the airport.
- It is not expensive. If you think you can save considerably by ordering the car in a remote office to the airport company, very wrong. You lose valuable time, and the price level in the investigation would be only a few percent lower. The money you save will have to spend on a taxi or a bus from the airport.
With regard to the nuances of renting a car in Latvia, they are all similar to the similar rules in other European countries:
- Driver's license. Caters to issue international driving license is not necessary, fit your plastic ID.
- Credit card. We need to confirm the client's solvency, as well as pre-payment of rent, if you book a car in advance.
- Age tenant. Minimum age for rental must be 21 years old.
- Driving experience. You must have experience of 2 years or more.
In addition to standard rules, some companies are implementing and their specific points in the agreement for renting a car. That's why, before signing the papers must be extremely careful about its contents. Pay attention to the fuel policy, restrictions on the distance covered, permission to travel outside Latvia and other conditions.
Latvia: the price of daily rental vehicles
Latvia is one of the most expensive European countries in terms of daily rent a car. The average price for three days of rent depends on the car class and ranges from 114 euros for a small to 265 euros for a suite. Prices are subject to change and in the framework of an insurance package. To get at the rest time is the model that you need, we recommend to perform a premature reservation. In this case, you can get a discount for early payment, and be sure that the right car will be waiting at the airport immediately after his arrival in Latvia.
|Category||For 3 days||7 days|
|Mini||114-117 euro||344-350 euro|
|Economy||113-154 euro||125-183 euro|
|Normal||86-145 euro||200-280 euro|
|Lux||215-265 euro||484-623 euro|
|Versatile||90-134 euro||186-274 euro|
|SUV||92-194 euro||228-386 euro|
Some companies, landlords can also ask for a deposit for the car. Physically, the money transfer you will not, but the amount in the bank account freeze.
The speed of travel is limited to what is there in Latvia?
Trails that connect the major cities of Latvia, perfectly adapted for travel on individual transport: road surface quality, recreation, comfortable speed limits, lights in the dark. However, categorically we do not recommend traveling at night on rural roads, because their quality is not always in line with European standards (as, indeed, and we have).
Speed mode Latvian traffic regulations differ according to the type of transport. For cars, the following rules:
- in the village, you can not go more than 50 km / h and in a residential area and not more than 20 km / h;
- outside the village – 90 km / h;
- on the road – 90 (in winter) and 110 (in the summer) km / h.
We also recommend to pay attention to signs and electronic boards – on some stretches of road speed is limited due to the frequent of animals crossing.
Planning to visit the major cities of Latvia? In this case, we recommend leaving the car in the parking lot and on the central part of the move on foot or by public transport. This way you can avoid problems with one-way traffic, traffic jams at rush hour and the search for convenient and cheap parking space.
The fee for the use of roads in Latvia is not provided, but the entrance to the resort area is payable mandatory: Jurmala (from April 1 to March 31) – 2 euros / one entry or EUR 31 / month subscription.
Traffic regulations in Latvia and the main types of penalties for violation
As you probably guessed, a set of rules of the road in Latvia the most similar to the familiar European standards. Here are the most common items SDA and Latvian counterparts to changes:
- dipped required 24 hours a day;
- blood alcohol level shall not exceed 0.5 ppm (for drivers with experience of 2 years or more) and 0.2 ppm (for beginners who drive a car for at least 2 years);
- children under 14 years of age and less than 150 centimeters tall transported without child seat appropriate to their weight, is prohibited;
- degree of light transmittance of the windshield should be at least 75%, and the front side windows of at least 70%.
For violation of traffic rules are provided imposing fines. Fans drive, talk on the phone or get behind the wheel "after just one glass" risk goodbye to the following amounts:
- from 430 to 1,400 euros (with deprivation of rights in some cases) – for exceeding the maximum permitted level of alcohol in the blood;
- from 7 to 40 euros – for movement without beam;
- 15 euros – for improper transportation of children;
- 15 euros – for talking on the phone without the device "hands-free";
- 85 euro – for exceeding permitted norms tinted glasses;
- 7 to 570 euros – for speeding.
Latvian drivers exceed the speed of love within 10 kilometers of the permitted maximum. However, we do not recommend – vehicles with foreign numbers like peace officers stopped more than others.
Car for rent: what insurance to choose?
The obligatory type of insurance of all cars in Latvia are the remaining (analogue of our CTP). However, the rental car is usually offered to insure the full package of Hull, which covers spending by third parties, your personal expenses for repairs and provides payments not only in the case of a road adventure, and action elements, theft, vandalism.
In general, all very similar to the "home" system. If the office of the insurance company offers additional insurance package, agree or not – depends on you. Of the benefits – such insurance provides around the clock assistance call center of the downsides – making rent expensive.
Fuel prices in Latvia
Unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 95 or 98, diesel fuel (lat. – Dizelis), and gas (lat. – Autogāze) can be charged both in big cities and along the roads outside the settlements. At gas stations often operates self-service and need a credit card.
Average fuel prices in Latvia in the Euro:
- Bezsvina 95 – 1.19;
- Bezsvina 98 – 1.25;
- Dizelis – 1.10;
- Autogāze – 0.53.
Where leave the iron horse, and how much it costs
Stop the car in Latvia is prohibited in the same places that you know from our SDA, as well as:
- on trestles and bridges, regardless of the number of bands;
- 25 meters before and 10 meters after stopping a taxi and urban transport;
- on sidewalks (unless otherwise specified) and bands of acceleration / deceleration.
Latvian rules of parking prohibited in the following places:
- outside the settlements in areas with visibility less than 100 meters in the same direction;
- near railway crossings in populated areas (no closer than 100 meters) and outside (not closer than 50 meters);
- in any place where the CU makes it impossible to travel to other TS or a barrier to pedestrian traffic.
Parking in the big cities of Latvia for the most part is paid, but you can leave the car near the hotel, next to the shopping center, where making a purchase or look for special free parking, which is, even in the center of Riga. The fee for parking in the Latvian cities depends on the zone and varies from 1 to 8 euros an hour. And at night, on Sundays and public holidays, you can use parking lots for free!
The cost of economy class cars in some cities in Latvia
Riga – 90 EUR per week