Recommendations and nuances of car rental in Barcelona
Fiat PuntoNumber of days: 7от 11 EurVW PoloNumber of days: 7от 15 EurPeugeot 107Number of days: 7от 8 Eur
Audi A3Number of days: 7от 35 EurMini CabrioNumber of days: 7от 120 EurOpel AstraNumber of days: 7от 40 Eur
MERCEDES SNumber of days: 7от 180 EurBMW 5 SeriesNumber of days: 7от 140 EurVW PassatNumber of days: 7от 110 Eur
MERCEDES SNumber of days: 7от 190 EurMERCEDES B-classNumber of days: 7от 230 EurFord C-MaxNumber of days: 7от 250 Eur
(Русский) Теги “Популярные направления”Number of days:Audi A6Number of days: 7Range RoverNumber of days: 7Audi Q7Number of days: 7Nissan X-trailNumber of days: 7Audi Q5Number of days: 7BMW X5Number of days: 7(Русский) Телефоны в подвалеNumber of days:(Русский) ТелефонNumber of days:Fiat PuntoNumber of days: 7
Such car rental companies as Herz, Europcar, Avis, National Atesa and Solmar work at the Barcelona airport. They offer a large choice of cars of different classes. Each company has an office at Terminal 1 Т1) and two offices at Terminal 2 (Т2).
Several companies are located in close proximity to the airport. As a rule, these companies offer more profitable rates than the previously mentioned ones. However, you will have to reach these companies by bus or free shuttle.
You should unconditionally pay your attention to the location of the office if it is more convenient for you to get the right at the airport terminal. When booking a car, you need to attentively get acquainted with the rental conditions, fuel policy and limitations of the mileage. This is because these conditions can be different depending on a particular car rental company.
Average prices for car rental
The prices for car rental in Barcelona are lower than the ones in other European cities. The cost of car rental includes the rental price itself and the cost of insurance. The rental cost directly depends on the class of the car, car renter’s driving experience, car renter’s age and other options. It is possible to get the lowest car rental rates if you book a car several months before the beginning of the trip. This is especially important if you are going to Barcelona in the peak season which lasts from July till September. The table located below contains the average car rental prices.
|Category||3 days’ rental term||7 days’ rental term|
|Mini||€ 8||€ 17|
|Economy||€ 9||€ 22|
|Standard||€ 12||€ 26|
|Premium||€ 156||€ 370|
|Wagon||€ 23||€ 51|
|Utility vehicle||€ 35||€ 88|
|Shelter carrier||€ 127||€ 302|
When driving a car within the city, you shall definitely pay your attention to the road signs. This is because the speed in some central city streets of Barcelona can be limited to 20 km/h. If the speed is not limited by additional signs, the standard limitations are in force:
- You can make not more than 50 km/h within the city;
- You can drive with a speed of not more than 100 km/h on the main roads;
- The maximum speed allowed on causeways is 90 km/h;
- It is possible to accelerate to not more than 120 km/h on highways;
- The minimum speed on expressways shall be 60 km/h.
The basic fines for violations of road traffic regulations
When driving a car in Barcelona, be especially attentive since the fines are rather high. At that the speed cameras are installed in practically all streets. The road police strictly follow the observation of road traffic regulations. The most popular fines are described in the table below.
|Illegal parking||100 Euro|
|Parking a car in the zones earmarked for the disabled||200 Euro|
|Drunken driving||500 Euro|
|Driving a car with an unfastened safety belt (by the driver and by the passengers)||200 Euro|
|Driving a child who is younger than 12 on the front seat||100 Euro|
|Driving a child who is younger than 3 years old without a special child seat||200 Euro|
|Talking on the mobile phone without a hands-free device when driving a car||200 Euro|
|Speed infringement||from 100 till 500 Euro|
The rental cost includes the following types of insurance and liability limitations:
– THEFT PROTECTION (TP) — this insurance line limits the customer’s liability in the event of car theft;
– COLLISION DAMAGE WAIVER (CDW) — this insurance line limits the car renter’s financial liability in the event of causing damage to the rental car;
– THIRD PARTY LIABILITY INSURANCE (TPL) — this is the insurance of civil liability in the event of causing damage to third parties.
The limitation of liability stipulates that the car renter incurs liability within the frameworks of the established franchise. Franchise is the amount of money which is not covered by the insurance policy and blocked on the customer’s bank card as a deposit. The insurance company compensates the damage which exceeds the size of the franchise. If the sum depends on the type of the insurance, you need to learn which insurance line you need and what this line includes. For example, the tires, windscreens and lights are not included in the standard insurance package. The customer shall pay their damage himself.
Full additional insurance
You have an opportunity to acquire an additional insurance policy for the whole rental term. You can do it in two ways:
- At the moment of booking a car directly on our website. In this case, the insurance is provided by Travelocars. In the event of causing damage to the car, we will compensate the sum of the deposit. At the moment of buying this policy, please, get acquainted with the insurance conditions and choose the suitable insurance rate. Two rates are possible such as the ‘compensation of a deposit in the amount of up to 750 Euro’ and ‘the entire compensation of the deposit in the amount of up to 3000 Euro’.
- At the office of the car rental company in Barcelona at the moment of getting the car. As a rule, the cost of the full insurance policy is 50% lower in this case.
The car rental company does not have any information about whether you have an insurance policy or not. That is why you will always be offered to purchase an additional policy at the moment of buying a car. If you have already formed the full insurance policy on our website, you do not need to pay the same service twice.
The cost and basic regulations of parking a car in Barcelona
It is quite problematic to park a car in Barcelona. That is why if you plan to reach the city center or spend a few days in the city, you had better take care of parking a car beforehand.
See the locations of underground car parks on the map since it is difficult to find a free parking place in the street.
The cost of car park at the underground parking lot is usually higher. However, there are more parking places at underground parking lots.
When choosing a hotel, we also recommend throwing your handkerchief to the hotel which has its own parking lot. This will significantly simplify the process of looking for a parking place.
Types and cost of parking:
It is possible to park a car for free on the white marking. Most of white markings are located on the outskirts of Barcelona.
- Blue marking – the cost is from 1 till 3 Euro per hour. The limitation of parking time is in force in many streets. You can park your car within not more than 4 hours.
- Green marking – the car park is earmarked for the residents. However, you can park your car here. The cost is from 2 till 4 Euro per hour. As a rule, there is a time limitation which makes up 2 hours.
- Underground car park – the cost is from 1.2 till 3 Euro per hour. If you park your car for one or more days, the cost is from 17 till 40 Euro per day.
As a rule, the paid rates are in force from 8:00 till 20:00 from Monday till Friday. In other time and on weekends, the parking is free both on the green and on the blue marking. However, there are exceptions. Pay attention to the road signs.
The cost of oil and diesel fuel in Barcelona
The prices mentioned below are average. They can vary depending on the fuel station and its location in the city.
- On liter of fuel 95 costs from 1.2 till 1.5 Euro
- On liter of fuel 95 costs from 1.4 till 1.6 Euro
- On liter of diesel fuel costs from 1.2 till 1.4 Euro
It is also possible to hire a car at cheap prices in such cities as:
- Madrid – the price for an economy class car is from 3 Euro per day
- Tenerife – the price for an economy class car in this city is from 6 Euro per day